Computer Vision Syndrome
Causes And Sure Cures For Dry EyesThe dry eyes are caused because of the lack of the tear production .If there is adequate tear production then there is no threat of dry eyes . That is because the moisture that is required to maintain correct vision is present in the eyes .Tear production doesn't mean the tears which we refer to crying but a combination of water, mucus, proteins, oils, and antibodies. Learn more about dry eyes and the role played by tears to keep the dry eyes in tact from the article.
This article covers
- What Is Dry Eye?
- What Are Tears?
- What Are The Causes Of Dry Eye?
- Symptoms of Dry Eye
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Options
- Best Relief for Dry Eyes
What Is Dry Eye?Dry eye is medically known as Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca and is defined as inflammation and drying of the Conjunctiva due to a lack of, or inadequate, tear production. The conjunctiva is the mucous membrane that covers the eyeball and is found inside the eyelids. Dry eye is also less commonly known as Sjogren's Syndrome, a disease in which the immune cells destroy the glands that produce tears and saliva. It more commonly associated with arthritis and other rheumatic disorders.
In order for your eyes to function properly, they require constant lubrication. Tear production creates the critical moisture that we depend on to correctly maintain our vision. When there is an imbalance in the tear system a person experiences dry eyes. Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca has been listed as a "Rare Disease" by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Rare Diseases (ORD).
What Are Tears?When most people think of tears, they think of the tears we shed when crying. But tear production also plays an important role in our overall eye health. Tears are a complex combination of water, mucus, proteins, oils, and antibodies. They moisturize, protect, and help the eye fight against infection. In healthy eyes, tears are constantly being secreted from glands in the eye.
What Are The Causes Of Dry Eye?There are a variety of different causes of dye eye. There is some research that suggests that individuals who work at a computer for extended periods of time, and people with a reduced "blink frequency", are more likely to be at risk for developing dry eye than the general population. Listed below are other possible causes of dry eye:
Contact Lenses and dry eyes are also linked because dry eye is often a side effect of wearing contacts. It is important for contact wearers to take their contacts out regularly, and keep their eyes moisturized while wearing contacts to minimize the effect of dry eyes.
LASIK and dry eyes are connected because laser surgery can sometimes aggravate the condition, and dry eye is often experienced as a complication of LASIK eye surgery. If you are considering having this procedure done, be sure you speak to your surgeon about the risk factors related to dry eye and the laser eye surgery procedure.
Allergies can also cause dry eye and it is medically known as Allergic Conjunctivitis. The allergic reaction can result in dry eyes, or the dust, mold, or mildew or dander that triggered the allergies can cause dye eye.
Eye Drops are a little known culprit behind dry eyes. Eye drops that have preservatives or methylcellulose in them can actually cause allergic eye reaction that can dry out the eyes.
Estrogen Deficiency and dry eye are usually linked because of menopause or a hysterectomy. These conditions can either cause dry eye or make an existing condition worse.
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) has not only been linked to dry eye, but has been reported to actually INCREASE dry eye pain.
In addition to the causes listed above, there are several other known causes of dry eye. These can be causal factors or they can aggravate the condition:
- Medical treatments that involve radiation
- Some types of corneal eye surgery (Non -Laser and Laser)
- A part of the normal aging process
- A lack or deficiency of vitamin A
- Estrogen or androgen deficiency
- Vascular Diseases
- of the cornea
- Some Antihistamines
- birth control pills
- Dry air or heart (natural or air condition)
- Eye infections
Symptoms of Dry EyeBecause a diagnosis of keratoconjunctivitis sicca is so rare, and symptoms can be so painful, it is important to consult a physician or optometrist/ophthalmologist if you have prolonged symptoms, or are experiencing severe symptoms of dry eye. Listed below are some of the most commonly experienced symptoms.
- Itchy eyes
- in the eye
- Burning sensation
- Gritty or scratchy feeling in the eye
- Sensitivity to light
- Feels like you have sand in the eye
Treatment For Dry EyeAlthough there is no"cure" for dry eyes, relief for dry eyes is readily available. Below are listed surgical, non surgical, dietary, herbal, and lifestyle options to help dry eyes treatment. You should discuss treatment options with your physician or optometrist/ophthalmologist to determine what treatments will yield the best results for you.
- All surgical procedures are done on an outpatient basis with local anesthetic. The ducts that drain tears into the nose can be permanently sealed so that more tears remain around the eye. Consult a physician or optometrist/ophthalmologist to determine if you are a good candidate for surgery.
- Temporary Punctal Occlusion- A painless procedure where a plug that will dissolve quickly is inserted into the tear drain of the lower eyelid. This is a temporary procedure, done to determine whether permanent plugs can provide an adequate supply of tears.
- Permanent punctal occlusion - Silicone plugs are used to "hold tears around the eyes". They can be removed and occasionally plugs may spontaneously come out. The procedure improves comfort level and reduces the need for artificial tears.
- Non- Prescription Eye Drops and Ointments. The primary treatment for dry eye with a wide variety of options available over the counter. Avoid eye drops that contain preservatives or methylcellulose. If your eyes dry out while you sleep, you can use a thicker lubricant, such as an ointment, at night.
- Restasis Prescription Eye Drops- The only prescription eye drop that allows your eyes to increase their own tear production, FDA approved in 2020 for the treatment of chronic dry eye.
- Topical steroids - may also be beneficial in some cases, but they should only be used when prescribed by your physician.
- Prescription Medications- are commonly prescribed but require a medical evaluation by a physician. The exact medications and dosages prescribed is dependant on individual results and the severity of the problem.
- Humidifiers- moisturizing the air keeps mucous membranes from drying out.
- Close Heating /Cooling Vents - point heating and cooling ducts away from areas where you spend a lot of time. This is really important if your home has forced hot-air heating because it can dry out your eyes very quickly
Are you getting all the nutrients you need from your diet? Good nutrition is essential for good health.
Corrective Eye Surgery
Ideas For Amblyopia
Eye Surgery Cost
Eye Surgery Procedures
Lasik Eye Surgery
Laser Eye Correction
Usage of contact lens is comfortable and is effective in providing the best solution for correction of vision defects. Eye lenses are also available at different color shaped to show up vibrant eye effects turning eye corrective treatment into fashion. Buying Contact Lenses Gas Permeable Lens Colored Contact Lenses
Natural means of caring your eyes lay with the food we intake, the healthier we eat the well nourished and healthy our eyes will look. Drinking more water and juicy food helps to keep the eyes cool and refreshing.